Thursday, March 7, 2013

Today's Students




I had almost finished my blog tonight when I overheard some people talking at a swim meet. As a result, I decided I HAD to change my post! 
     
I guess the man speaking used to teach school. Years ago. He claimed that students USED to be respectful, and USED to care, and USED to behave. BUT not anymore. I was shocked to learn that all students nowadays are rude, and disrespectful, and unkind. They have no self control or limits. They are horrid...

I sure wish someone would have told me before I let my students  raise over $500 this winter to send to children in Africa who lack clean water... And before they volunteered to raise more funds to combat human trafficking... And before they spent countless hours after school researching and working on projects.

My students are extremely kind...and thoughtful...and helpful. They care about much more in this world than themselves. They want to learn and to make a difference with their lives. They care. They have self control and compassion. I wouldn't trade 'em for anything!

11 comments:

  1. Your kids sound awesome, worthy of your pride...and, by the way, I have 50 awesome sixth graders, too...I wonder why this gentleman felt so negative, or where he got the information?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislike blanket statements like that in general. Yes, there are some self-centered, apathetic students out there--just as there are self-centered, apathetic adults. Sounds like you've taught your students well; wonder what he taught, besides the curriculum?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then he should also read Libby's post today. Here is the link: http://schwade.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/5th-hour-gets-a-gold-star/
    I am not forgetting my wonderful students either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think when students have a kind, thoughtful, caring teacher they learn how to be these things too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm learning that caring must be taught...
    I am blessed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...And...THANK YOU ALL for your taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that your students have a caring and thoughtful teacher AND that makes a difference. : ) Blessed to know you and grateful I've been able to be with some of your students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's when we speak in (and believe) generalizations about human beings, religions, schools, teachers, police officers, etc., that the world becomes a little less hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your comment that caring must be taught. I too am learning! Our school is blessed to have you Shelley.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always say the same about my students. So often, I tell people I teach high school, and they say, "Boy, you're brave!" If only they knew. I am so lucky!

    ReplyDelete