Friday, March 22, 2013

When God Speaks, We Listen

Funny how God sometimes works...

Last night I asked my husband to read Psalm 37 to me.  This is not typical; my husband hates to read--especially ALOUD!  He actually thought I was joking at first...but he knew I was sick and acquiesced.  

He then asked what he should read.  I confidently said, "Psalm 37," like anyone would know that's what you're supposed to read on a Thursday night after 10 P.M. when your light is already out, and you really just want to get to sleep.  

"Why Psalm 37?" he asked.  

"I don't know. I just feel like you should read Psalm 37 to me."

"What does it say?" he inquired.

"I don't know.  I just think you should read Psalm 37 to me," I repeated.

"So...You don't have it memorized or anything?  You don't know what it says?  Why do you want me to read it to you?"

"I don't know.  I just think you should read Psalm 37 to me," I sighed.  Geesh!  Men!  How many times do I have to REPEAT myself??? I thought.

"Ok, then," he sighed hesitantly.

" 'Do not be agitated by evildoers; do not envy those who do wrong,' " he began.

Wow!  We both chuckled.  Hmmm...

He went on, " '...Be silent before the Lord and wait expectantly for Him...' "

We chuckled even more...

We both knew I have been rather agitated lately because of "evildoers."  My husband has tried to encourage me...to help me to just let it go...to focus on other things...But did I listen?  

Hmmm...

Geesh!  I'm sure he was thinking!  How many times did I have to tell you that?  

Actually, he did come out and say it. "I've told you that a thousand times," he said.  "Yet you wouldn't listen!"

Funny how--when GOD speaks--we tend to listen!!!

7 comments:

  1. ha, I love this story. I wish I was better at listening when God speaks. We sure are better off when we do though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I debated on my title...MANY times I, too, DON'T listen and end up regretting it! Thank you for taking the time to comment, Mary! :)

      Delete
  2. I like the banter with you and your husband--dialogue that is. It was nice that he did read to you. Never knew anyone who had so much fun with a Bible verse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I piggy back on Tam's comments. The dialogue is rich. Brings out the flavor of your relationship with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really eerie that you did not know what the Psalm said, but it fit so closely to your life at this time. I hope you are listening closely so He doesn't have to say it louder in a more forceful way. This was spiritually cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God speaks in mysterious ways!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God working. Very cool it was just what you needed!

    ReplyDelete