Friday, May 20, 2016

I Celebrate Story

Tonight...I celebrate story...stories...my story...and yours.

Some time ago, I asked God to use His scalpel and scrape away the ugly gunk covering my most inner heart. I had no idea it would be such a painful process.

Throughout this ordeal, I have learned that each of us has a story to tell...

That my students have their own stories...

That the opposite of love is not hate...but fear...

So...When students seem to hate, I can ask myself, What are they fearing? What is causing alarm and anxiety and the reaction I see?

As we slow down to hear each other's stories, we build community, we build acceptance,  and we build classrooms where students feel valued and loved.

This week, I celebrate learning more about myself and my own story so that I have a more attentive ear to the stories that surround me each and every day...

After all, if you don't tell your story, who will?

If you don't listen to students' stories, who will?

1 comment:

  1. There is depth and beauty in the simplicity of your words. I love your insight that the opposite of love is fear. You are so right! So good to read your words, Shelley!

    ReplyDelete